The Apple Keyboard
What is the Apple Keyboard?
This article seeks to explain what an Apple Keyboard is and what the differences between that and a normal PC keyboard are.
I really don’t think you can read articles on the computer keyboard and don’t actually mentioning the Mac keyboard. So…
This type of keyboard is very popular amongst Mac users and even some PC users prefer to use keyboard made by Apple. This article seeks to explain the Mac keyboard, the benefits and also the negatives and how it compares to a typical PC keyboard.
Apple Keyboard “Keys”
One of the main difference between the normal keyboard and the Mac keyboard is to do with the keys of the Apple keyboard. The keys that are different basically perform the same operations as the Windows keys but are called something different. Look at the following examples:
- The Command key, often containing a square symbol, with curves and usually the apple symbol, in commmon applications, such as word processing is equivalent to the Windows Control Key. So when using the commmon shortcuts, such as Control + F (find), or Control + T (new tab), on an Apple you would use the command key, and go Command + F, or Command + T.
- The Apple keyboard also contains an “option key”. This key functions very similarly to the typical “alt” key on a Windows keyboard. This key may be used for special shortcut keys, like the alt key is used in Windows.
- A typical Apple keyboard has two delete keys. One of them is located where the Windows “backspace” key is and performs the same operation as the “backspace” key does. Apple then also has another delete key, where the Windows delete key is. This key also performs the same operation as a Windows key. So the keys do the same thing, they are just both called “delete” on an Apple keyboard.
PC Keyboard Layout vs Apple Keyboard Layout
Another main difference between the PC keyboard and the Apple keyboard is the layout. The majority of the keys are placed in the same or similar places, but there are a few noticable differences.
- The option keys (alt keys on Windows) are located right next to the space bar on a Windows keyboard, while on a Mac keyboard the command key is found right next to the space bar. This can at first be confusing for someone that uses both Mac’s and PC’s but is something that they need to get used to.
- There are other small differences, such as the shape of the “Enter Key”, the spacing between the Function keys and stuff like that.
- The image below provides you a photo of each of the different keyboards. As you can see there are some minor differences, but mostly they are pretty similar.
As you can see the Apple Keyboard is very similar to a normal keyboard, however there are a few differences.
I hope this article has proved to be helpful to you and your understanding of the computer.
Give us your opinion on the Computer Keyboard!
What is the best keyboard type? What do you use? Let us know!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page…
- Computer Keyboard Overview
- Learning the Computer Keyboard
- Computer Keyboard Layout
- Cleaning Computer Keyboards
- Types of Computer Keyboards
- Ergonomic Computer Keyboards
- Gaming Keyboards
- Portable Computer Keyboards
- How does a computer work?