Cleaning Computer Keyboards
How to Clean Computer Keyboards?
This article is written to explain to you the process of cleaning computer keyboards.
Perhaps your keyboard is not functioning as well, or perhaps the keys have become harder to push down, or maybe even your keyboard has completely ceased to be working.
Maybe its time to clean your computer keyboard? Read this article to find out how and why.
Why Clean Your Computer Keyboard?
As you probably are well aware of computer keyboards have little holes and slits that dust, dirt and hair can easily slide between. These materials can build up below the keys, forcing your keyboard to become harder to press. As this continues to happen, the keyboard can actually have slower response, and even force you to press harder on the keys to get a result.
The result from this is lesser productivity and more strain on your fingers. As I am sure you know, a bad keyboard, gives less results, and just annoys the person using it.
Another reason you may need to clean your computer keyboard, is if you manage to spill a liquid (coffee, milk, coke, water etc.) on to your keyboard. If this happens, you need to act fast so as to prevent permanent damage. Read on to understand more.
Process of Cleaning Computer Keyboards
I am going to cover a couple of ways that you are able to clean computer keyboards. Perhaps you are having difficulty typing, due to dirt, or perhaps you have just gone and spilt coffee over your keyboard. I will cover the too different situations below.
Dust, Dirt or Hare:
So first and most likely, is that your keyboard has become increasingly harder to type on? If so, thats ok, this tutorial will help you fix your keyboard.
- So first step is to turn your computer off, unplug the power cable and remove your keyboard. The next step is quite technical, so listen carefully, simply pick up your keyboard and shake it, forcing any loose dirt or hare to come out of the cracks.
- If you own a compressor, or a can of compressed air then that would be great, simply blow it in between all the cracks and force any dirt out of the keyboard. Otherwise a vacuum cleaner can do a similar job.
- After that, take a cotton bud, place some keyboard cleaning liquid (isopropyl alcohol) on it and run it along the keys. This will take away any dirt or dust that may have built up there.
- Lastly take a duster or dry cloth, run it over the keyboard and you should have a nice clean keyboard. Of course, it really depends on how dirty your keyboard was in the first place, but if you follow the steps listed, your keyboard should be much improved compared to what it was.
- If your keyboard was absolutely filthy, it is possible to remove the keys, with a screwdriver and then vacuum underneath the keys. This process will take a lot longer, and requires patience, in being able to put all the keys back on.
Liquids (water, coke, beer etc.):
Cleaning the computer after a liquid substance has been poured on to it is more of a problem then dust and dirt.
- Firstly, its very important that you turn your computer off immediately, unplug the power and flip the keyboard upside now.
- Attempt to shake all the substance out, because it is important that any liquid is removed as soon as possible.
- While still holding it upside down, run a cloth up and down it to remove any liquid that may have gone into the cracks and then leave to dry for at least one night.
- If the keyboard has been well dried there is a chance that it may still work, but this may not happen necessarily.
- If the liquid is sticky, even if you get it to work, it probably isn’t worth cleaning, just because the keys will continue to stick, it will be uncomfortable and unhygienic.
I hope this article on cleaning computer keyboards has proven to be useful to you. It is possible that you are the type that buys anything and everything new once they stop working, but if you like to save money and try fix things, then try a few of the things listed.
I hope some of the tips of cleaning a keyboard prove to be useful. If you have any other ideas or tips, please leave them for us, below. Thankyou.
Give us your opinion on the Computer Keyboard!
What is the best keyboard type? What do you use? Let us know!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page…
- Computer Keyboard Overview
- Learning the Computer Keyboard
- Computer Keyboard Layout
- Types of Computer Keyboards
- Ergonomic Computer Keyboards
- Gaming Keyboards
- Portable Computer Keyboards
- How does a computer work?